Journey to Israel: March 1-13, 2023
Pastor Chris is teaming up with friends and colleagues Dr. Carl Peters and Dr. Teresa Gardner (left) for another legacy pilgrimage to the Holy Land. Carl and Teresa are well-loved and already known to many in the Epiclesis church community: Carl for his teaching visits to California, and Teresa for her teaching visits to us, her international dance ministry based in Charlotte, North Carolina, and her nearly 60 trips to Israel– a place she calls her second home. Chris, Carl, and Teresa will teach and lead throughout the tour.
All along the way, we’ll have an expert, top-rated, and seasoned Israeli guide, our dear friend Moti (right), to help give us a personal and informative tour.
Latest Important Trip-Related Document Downloads:
Please note: Things like travel connections and, most especially, itineraries are tentative. Things can change, especially when it comes to the order/date of things when we get to Jerusalem. Thanks so much for your flexibility and understanding.
- Here’s the Main Trip Brochure (as of 2/15 we’re at version 2.1). Check back here often as this document will be updated along the way. The brochure includes flights, hotels, itinerary, and general information and handy tips. NOTE: The document is laid out for print-readiness and should be physically printed out, in color, 8.5 x 11, landscape, front and back, and then assembled for best viewing.
- Trip Photo Directory (as of 2/21 we’re at version 2.0). NOTE: The directory is laid out for print-readiness and should be physically printed out, in color, 8.5 x 11, landscape, front and back, and then assembled for best viewing.
- Customized Daily Prayer and Devotional Guide (as of 2/15 we’re at version 1.0). You do not need to print the devotional because a hard copy has been mailed, along with a little gift from Pastor Chris, to everyone. NOTE: If you do choose to print, the devotional is laid out for print-readiness and should be physically printed out, in color, 8.5 x 11, landscape, front and back, and then assembled for best viewing.
Video Tutorial from Pastor Chris on How to Use the Trip Daily Devotional Booklet
(posted on 2/14/2023)
Link to Second Group Zoom Meeting (held on 1/29/23):
Link to First Group Zoom Meeting (held on 10/16/22):
Note: A contact for Trip Insurance: Cathy Reavis with World Travel Mates: (704) 697-1501 or cell (704) 641-6892
Fun and Educational Audio-Visual Resources:
Please Note: Items listed below are for general information and aren’t necessarily endorsed by Pastor Chris for their general accuracy, theological content, or scriptural interpretation. Listings/pictures here do not necessarily mean we will visit that particular site. Please let us know if any of the links are not working. The main categories below are listed in alphabetical order:
- Mobile Passport Control App (VERY handy and a MAJOR time saver on reentry into the US).
- Two-prong plug adapter mentioned by Pastor Chris at the Zoom meeting.
- Three-prong plug adapter mentioned by Pastor Chris at the Zoom meeting.
- Customs Guides for Tourists Coming into Israel (incl. prohibited items).
- Must-Have Resources for Bible Lands Study (recommended books, atlases, albums, DVDs, etc.).
- How to Prepare for a Trip to the Holy Land (practical, physical, mental, and spiritual preparation).
- Travel Power Converter and Adapters.
- Charging an iPhone in Israel.
- How to Pack Linen Clothes.
- Dos and Don’ts When in Israel.
- A Suggested Packing List.
- ‘Jerusalem of Gold’: Volunteer unearths artifact of ‘great value’ at archaeological site.
- Written Records of Biblical King David Discovered by Researchers.
- Jerusalem’s 2,000-year-old Pilgrimage Road preparing for modern revival.
- Silver coins found near Temple Mount help prove Jewish history of Israel.
- Biblical site where Jesus healed blind man excavated for public view.
- The discovery of a 1,500-year-old pool and fountain at the site of an ancient church near Jerusalem.
- Magdala, the Home Town of Mary Magdalene, Is Being Resurrected (includes an embedded video).
- Rare Coins found in Temple Mount Excavation.
- Seal of King Hezekiah found in Jerusalem.
- Virtual reality tour brings ancient Jerusalem to life.
- 5 Surprising Differences Between Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews.
Featured Locations/Misc. Information
Bible References (.pdf files)
- Scripture references for Jerusalem.
- Scripture references for Jerusalem and surrounding area.
- Scripture references for the Galilee.
- Scripture references for the Jordan and the Dead Sea.
- Scripture references for the desert.
Our Hotels for March, 2023
Maps (.pdf files)
- Israel Distances Relative to Sacramento, Knoxville, and Lexington
- Jerusalem Map.
- Another Jerusalem Map.
- Basic Jerusalem Geography (single map).
- A Christian’s Map of the Holy Land.
- Israel Map (“In the Footsteps of Jesus”).
Practical Video Tutorials
- 23 Travel Hacks (Airplane Tips) (13 min).
- 27 Packing Hacks- How to Pack Better! (7 min).
- How to Pack Your Suitcase Like a Pro! (19 min).
- 10 Travel Essentials for Women Over 60 (12 min).
- How to Pack 100 Items into a Carry-On (2 min).
- How to Pack 50 Outfits into One Tote Bag (2 min).
- Drive Thru History: Holy Land with Dave Stotts, Vol. 2: History of Israel in 8 Minutes.
- Enjoy this 7 minute fly-over tour of the Holy Land.
- Drive Thru History: Holy Land with Dave Stotts, Vol. 1 (27 min).
- Things to Do in Israel: Best Places to Visit (4 min).
- Amazing Israel: A timelapse video featuring Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, The Dead Sea and Red Canyon (3 min).
- Holy Land Tour: Jerusalem and the South (14 min).
- The Deep Mysteries and Dark Secrets of the Holy Land (1 hour 26 min).
- 68 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know about Israel (6 min).
- Geography Now! Israel (20 min).
- Israel Travel Guide: Everything You Need to Know (11 min).
- Drone Footage of Caesarea Maritima (9 min).
- Jerusalem: Discover the Heart of the World (stunning IMAX film by Nat Geo narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch). A must-see. Read a story about the film here. Rent or purchase it here (42 min).
- Great Tour of Jerusalem. “Travel Guide: Everything you need to know” (11 min).
- Jerusalem Booklet: Be Your Own Guide (4 min).
- Jerusalem Travel Guide: All You Need to Know (2018) (7 min).
- Jerusalem in 72 Hours (with a professional guide) (10 min).
- Interactive, 360-degree video experience of walking through the Old City of Jerusalem! This same thread of videos features many places we’ll be visiting. (Titled “Israel 360 Video English” produced by the Texas International Bible Institute) (3 min).
- Exploring the Old City of Jerusalem (16 min).
- Hezekiah’s Tunnel: Pilgrim Tours (5 min).
- News report of Seal of Hezekiah found in Jerusalem (3 min).
- The Ultimate Jerusalem Food Tour (41 min).
- Four Mountains in the vicinity of Jerusalem: The Mount of Olives; The Temple Mount; Mount Zion; and Mount Herzl (30 min each).
- Video Tour of the Pool of Siloam and Hezekiah’s Tunnel in Jerusalem (7 min).
- A Video Tour Inside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre (8 min).
- National Geographic Explorer: The Secrets of Christ’s Tomb. A must-see (46 min).
- City of David, Pool of Siloam, Gihon Spring, Hezekiah’s Tunnel (37 min).
- Archaeologists uncover gate to biblical city of Zer.
- The Galilee, or “Jesus,” Boat.
- A drone trip around the Sea of Galilee.
- Sacred Sights Along the Sea.
- Galilee from Above.
- Extinct Tree from Masada and the Time of Jesus Rises from the Dead. (BBC short film) (8 min).
- Floating in the Dead Sea, Masada Sunrise, and the West Bank (14 min).
- The Dead Sea: Why Do You Float? (5 min).
- Floating on the Dead Sea + Mud Baths = Family Spa Day! (5 min).
- Is the Dead Sea Really Dead? (5 min).
Images on this page: Top, right: Via Dolorosa; Right, center: Alleyway in the Jewish Quarter; Masada; Bottom, right: Jerusalem Night Spectacular.